Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Grandparents

This image is one of my favorite photographs so far - it's of an older couple at John and Lexi's Sebastopol Wedding last year.

Grandparents are so cool to see at weddings - they speak of a deep, rich relationship that has grown since a wedding day long since gone. It's such a neat thing to see them in the presence of couples who are incredibly in love, but have yet to really dig into the meat and potatoes of what a loving marriage relationship really looks like.

Honestly, I got pretty lucky. I dated my wife for 11 months and was engaged for 7, and how in the world did I know that our marriage would work out? I was crazy-in-love, so was she, and we couldn't hardly help getting married, but really...how much does one really KNOW a person after 18 months of a relationship? 3 years of a relationship? 6 years of a relationship?

Which brings me back to grandparents. They're evidence that two people who have yet to know the deepest depths of their spouse and may hardly know what they're getting into can synchronously navigate an uncertain world and come out the other side with deep wrinkles etched by many smiles, twinkling eyes, youthful countenances, and a rich understanding of love that us young'n's don't even know exists yet.

I see that in this couple, though I don't know them.

photo of grandparents at a sebastopol wedding by san luis obispo wedding photographer ken kienow

2 comments:

kristel wyman said...

that's a great photo. and i totally agree and love reading your thoughts on this. :o)

Jared and Leah Davis said...

well said, ken. i love the photos of my grandparents at our wedding best of all too :) leah